Writing Mission statement for at Ley Top Primary School
At Ley Top Primary School, we are committed to developing our children’s writing to ensure that they leave us prepared and equipped with the skills that they need for a successful future. We are determined for our children to develop a love of writing to ensure that they are ready for the next stage of their education and that they become valuable members of society in the future.
- To promote the importance and love of writing.
- To develop our children’s technical knowledge and understanding of writing skills.
- To encourage our children to ‘write like a reader’
Quality of Learning at Ley Top
In order to help our children to reach their potential as writers, we have a writing lesson every day. In these lessons, the children focus on specific national curriculum skills for their year group. Teachers plan units based upon a particular genre of writing. Children are first introduced the genre, explore examples and study the way in which it has been written. They then move on to learning the specific writing skills for the unit and what these would look like in the genre they are studying. Across the unit, children will produce writing and develop their skills in each part of the writing process – plan, draft, edit, re-draft and publish. These pieces will vary in length and focus at the discretion of the teacher, it is important to use that we value high quality writing not quantity of writing.
In addition to this, we have the following:
- Exciting Writing – This is a whole school competition which takes place each term. We use the same genre across the school.
- Write What I Like – This is where the children can choose the focus, genre and content of their writing based on the teacher’s stimuli or their own. We recognise how important it is to provide children with time and freedom to express themselves in writing and the way in which this helps to develop a love of writing too.