Foundation Stage Overview (Nursery and Reception)
Nursery & Reception are called the Foundation Stage - like building a house, we need to make firm foundations - which if strong and secure the future learning is built on.
The children mainly learn through play whilst following their own interests. This is their work and is really valuable. They learn through doing - investigating & exploring it’s how they make sense of the world. They also have a phonics session each day.
There are 7 areas of learning which are then broken down further into 17 aspects.
- Communication and Language Development - which covers Listening & Attention, Understanding & Speaking
- Physical Development - fine & gross motor and also looking at health and self-care
- Personal, Social & Emotional Development - which looks at the children self-confidence, how they manage their feelings and behaviour and also making relationships
- Literacy - concentrating on Reading & Writing
- Mathematics - covering numbers as well as Shape, Space & Measures
- Understanding the World - so learning about People & Communities, The World and Technology
- Expressive Arts and Design - which is exploring different medias and materials and also being imaginative.
Children’s learning and development is carefully assessed throughout the Foundation Years. A base-line assessment takes place as the children enter the Nursery/ Reception class, and this will be discussed with you at the time. Please remember that we are always willing to discuss any aspects of your child’s development with you, all you need to do is ask.
For more information, please see our booklets for more information.
Nursery and Reception Information Booklets
Meet our wonderful Early Years Team