Absence & Attendance
When a child is absent from school, the school must be informed of the reason on the first day of absence by 9.30am. This can be done either by telephone, a note, a text, email or in person.
Leave of Absence in Term Time
The Governors at Ley Top Primary School have made the decision, following official guidance, not to authorise holiday absence during term time. If a holiday is taken, the school’s Attendance Policy makes it clear that a Penalty Notice may be issued.
The Penalty Notice is for £60 per parent, per child if paid within 21 days and £120 per parent, per child if paid after this date but within 28 days. The Penalty Notice will be issued by Bradford Children’s Services not the school.
Children may lose their place at school if they fail to return after 20 days of absence.
For further information please follow the link to Bradford Children’s Services leave of absence in term time
- If your child is absent from school, you must telephone the office on 01274 541554 on the 1st day of absence before 9.30am and provide a reason.
- 1st day call out – If your child is absent and school have not been notified you will receive a telephone call. If parent/carer is not available to speak with, a message will be left for you to ring school and a school text sent. You will then receive a text message and a home visit will be arranged.
- If your child’s attendance drops below 94% letters will be issued.
- 1st day call out
- Home visit
- Letter A – Concern letter issued (attendance below 94% but above 90%) – school concerned re numerous absences
- Letter B – Monitoring letter issued (attendance below 90%) school to monitor attendance for a 4 week period
- Letter C – Attendance meeting letter issued (monitoring period – if no improvement in your child’s attendance parent/carer will be invited into school for an Attendance Meeting to discuss reasons for non-attendance and an action plan will be agreed)
- Letter D – Action plan letter (agreed actions to be taken, monitor attendance again for 4 week period)
- Letter E – Referral to BCL (Attendance Officers) letter (if still no improvement in your child’s attendance a referral will be made to BSL who will then contract parent/carer. This could result in a penalty notice fine of £60 per parent, per child.
Attend school every day and have a chance of winning a prize!
Every half term children with 100% attendance will go into the Grand Prize Draw to win:
1st Prize £30 voucher
2nd Prize £20 voucher
3rd Prize £10 voucher
100% attendance certificates
|Attendance during one school year||Equals days absent||Approximate weeks absent|
|95%||9 days||2 weeks|
|90%||20 days||4 weeks|
|85%||29 days||5 ½ weeks|
|80%||40 days||8 weeks|
|70%||57 days||11 ½ weeks|
|60%||80 days||16 weeks|